With the New Year, comes a fresh start.
At the start of every year we make New Year resolutions... to make more money; eat healthier; make the time to exercise etc. People usually make resolutions and then end up breaking them. Nevertheless setting ourselves goals is important, it provides us with direction and a purpose, it also gives us the motivation to achieve. And while we should have the desire to achieve, we should also be okay if we fail to achieve, we must not fear failure.
Chinese Proverb: “Failure is not falling down; failure is not getting back up.”
I’ve put together my list of do’s and don’ts for 2011, a list I think is important for a woman to accomplish and aspire to, a few of which are my goals for 2011.
Keep your eye on the goal!
- Do something each day that makes you happy.
- Surround yourself with positive, influential people, who have your best interest at heart, they will help bring out the best in you and assist you in achieving your goals.
- Try something new, for example: public speaking or skiing, this will force you out of your comfort zone and you never know, you might discover a hidden talent.
- Learn to speed read. Sometimes you just need to know the basics, a great book to read that will teach you how to master this skill is 'Speed Reading by Tony Buzan.'
- Learn to keep time, be on time.
- Forgive those who have wronged you. Let go of grudges and anger.
- Balance stress, instead of being consumed by it.
- Evolve your look, also have professional photographs taken of yourself, this will boost your self esteem and when you are old one day, you can look back on how hot and fab you were in your youth.
- Let go of self-doubt and self-pity.
- Take care of your body, as it will take care of you. Drink water every day, exercise, take vitamin supplements and eat a healthy diet.
- Wear sun block, you don't want to end up getting skin cancer.
- Take time out of your busy schedule of work, children chores etc. For a little “me time” during that time, do the things that make you unwind and that brings you joy.
- Learn to change a light bulb, change a plug and change a tyre, there will come a day, where you will not have anyone to rely on to do it for you.
- Manage your finances. Pay your bills and put money aside each month so that when you see those really expensive boots you want or that timeless winter coat that just went on sale, you will have the funds available to splurge! This will save you from making credit purchases so that you don’t get yourself into debt... ooh it’s SO worth it.
- Get your driver’s license if you don’t already have it. This will make you independent and it has so many advantages.
- Travel, leave the borders of SA.
- Listen and you will learn from people, the amount you can learn from them can be astronomical.
- Remember people’s names.
- Delve into your own personal psychology, your experiences have shaped you into who you are today, by reflecting on your life, you will be able to take the lessons learnt from the mistakes you made and then see your potential, this will help you become better and enable you to think BIG.
A quote by Sir Richard Branson “If you challenge yourself, you will grow. Your life will change, your outlook will be positive. It’s not always easy to reach your goals, but that’s no reason to stop. Never say die. Say to yourself ‘I can do it’ I will keep trying until I win.”
- Don’t procrastinate – be a go getter instead.
- Don’t neglect the people who love and care for you.
- Don’t make credit purchases, your aim is to be debt free.
- Don’t be disorganised.
- Don’t disrespect people.
- Don’t over commit your time, energy and brain power.
- Don’t say 'yes', when you mean 'no'.
- Don’t rely on others to make you happy, create your own happiness.
- Don’t hide from your true feelings, instead listen to your intuition.
- Don’t compare yourself to others looking for validation.
- Don’t stress over things that you cannot control or that you cannot change.
So now that we have reflected on the changes we need to make in our lives, it’s time to follow through on those changes.
Steps to take:
- Set goals
- Be decisive
- Take action